Use the following steps to completely utilize all major nursing resources in the Salmon Library.
1. Select topic; understand guidelines or parameters set by the instructor.
2. Consult appropriate reference materials for a definition or background information.
3. Check iLink, the on-line catalog to locate books in the UAH Library. On the home page select Books - E-Books to reach the catalog. Most of the library materials in the areas of nursing, and other related areas will have call numbers beginning with the letter R.
4. Check appropriate indexes for peer-reviewed articles, copy or print citations.
5. Determine if the Salmon Library has the periodical by using the Journals link from the library’s home page to search; check the Medical Library of the UAB School of Medicine library journal list (Huntsville Regional Medical Campus) and WorldCat database which contains more than 35 million records describing items owed by U.S. libraries and libraries around the world; each record contains library holdings.
6. Locate articles or materials available at the Salmon Library, Medical Library of the UAB School of Medicine (Huntsville Regional Medical Campus) or Alabama A&M.
7. Request materials not available locally through interlibrary loan. Allows at least 10 days minimum for books/articles.
8. Check for U.S. Government Documents materials through the appropriate indexes.*
9. Please ask for assistance at the reference desk! * = additional information available at reference desk.
Relevant call numbers for Nursing.
QM 1-695 Human anatomy
R 5-920 Medicine (General)
RA 1-1270 Public aspects of medicine
RB 1-214 Pathology
RC 31-1245 Internal medicine
RD 1-811 Surgery
RE 1-994 Ophthalmology
RF 1-547 Otorhinolaryngology
RG 1-991 Gynecology and obstetrics
RJ 1-570 Pediatrics
RK 1-715 Dentistry
RL 1-803 Dermatology
RM 1-950 Therapeutics. Pharmacology
RS 1-441 Pharmacy and materia medica
RT 1-120 Nursing
RV 1-431 Botanic, Thomsonian, and eclectic medicine
RX 1-681 Homeopathy
RZ 201-999 Other systems of medicine