ILLiad for InterLibrary Loan
The M. Louis Salmon Library is pleased to offer ILLiad for the placing of your interlibrary loans. The ILLiad software is used by many other academic libraries in Alabama and the United States. This software will only require you register once. After that, you will not need to type in your name and email for each ILL.
To access ILLiad you will input your Charger ID and password. (This is what you use for Angel and the UAHuntsville email).
Your user name is the text listed to the left of the @ sign in your email address. (Example: abc0001).
Your password is the initial of your first name, initial of your last name followed by the last 6 digits of your A number. Example: ac000000)
Click on the ILLiad icon to access Interlibrary Loan.
Besides being able to request books and articles ILLiad will provide you with many new features.
You can also subscribe to the Alerts Feed so that you'll know when the library is closed and not placing ILLs.
If you have questions or problems please contact the ILL department at: 256-824-6124 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We Do Not Request Textbooks
We do not request textbooks for current classes. The ILL loan period averages 28 days or less which is not long enough to be used for a semester class period.
Prioritize Multiple Requests
Graduate students, faculty and staff: If you place 10 or more requests at one time, please note a priority order for the requests with #1 as top priority, etc. Sometimes lenders are limited by the types of items requested, and the ILL department attempts to place its requests in a balanced manner among the available lenders.
Low Fee Interlibrary Loan
The interlibrary loan department engages in free or low fee interlibrary loan borrowing for all patrons as much as possible. Charges for ILL are not passed to patrons, but borrowing charges that exceed $20.00 per item may cause requests to be unfilled. Every effort is made to see that ILL requests are filled.
Please sure that you pick up all requested materials when notified as it costs the library and university money to provide this service.
ILLiad FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is ILLIAD?
ILLiad is the electronic system you use to request an item through Interlibrary Loan. The name ILLiad can be thought of as an acronym for InterLibrary Loan internet accessible database.
How is ILLiad better than traditional ILL systems?
1. You will find it easier to submit your interlibrary loan requests. With ILLiad, you enter your name, email and other personal information into the system only once, at the time of your first request.
2. You can get many of your article requests more quickly through Electronic Delivery.
3. You can get information about the status of your request through the Web at any time from any location without having to call or email the ILL department.
4. Library personnel are able to serve you better because all data about your request and its handling is stored in a searchable database. We are able to respond quickly to your inquiries about your request. We are also able to gather statistical information about the performance of the libraries that lend to us, enabling us to make better decisions when choosing a lender to supply an item.
Are there any disadvantages to the electronic system?
Some may find it troublesome to have to log into ILLiad using a username and password. We believe this is less trouble than our current system which requires you to enter your personal information with each new request.
What Web browser should I use?
You need a web browser that can handle forms, tables and preferably Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). We recommend the current versions of either Microsoft Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox.
Is security a problem if I use a public workstation?
Yes. Web browser cache information and create a history file on the local workstation. This allows a subsequent user of the workstation to access the system under your name using the browser's Back button to recall a page from the cache, or by finding a page with your personal information in the brower's history file. If you are concerned abut the security of your interlibrary loan requests, you can take the following steps:
♦ Access ILLiad only from your personal computer or otherwise security workstation (such as those on the UAHuntsville campus).
♦ When using a public access workstation:
1. Delete from the history file those pages that contain your personal information.
2. Exit from the web browser before you leave the workstation. This prevents the Back button from accessing the pages that you were
3. Log off the PC (especially if you are using a campus PC.)
Why don't I see all my older requests when I look at my request history?
From time to time we purge older records from ILLiad. Our policy is to keep requests online for several years in-order to comply with record keeping requirements of the copyright law.
Who do I contact if I have problems with or questions about ILLiad?
System Problems or InterLibrary Loan Questions: Phone 256-824-6124 or email email@example.com
Why does my browser say that you're sending a cookie? What's in it?
The technology that we use sends a Session ID to be stored on your machine. You can refuse this cookie and still be able to use ILLiad without any problems.